Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Stuff and Nonsense

I generally try to avoid swearing. I'm not saying I've never used an unpleasant expression in the presence of extreme pressure, nor am I declaring a personal resentment towards people who do swear. But I do make an effort to avoid particular words of the urban language. In addition to the unappreciated connotations that these terms posses, I challenge my creativity to develop my own words to express the intensity of my emotions. This exercise is not only mentally stimulating, but also very entertaining. The list of my own swear verbiage (or swerbiage) has grown impressively lengthy since I began it. Now I don't regard the run-of-the-mill "language" to be offensive as much as I find it dull. The f, s, and b words seem unimpressive compared to my replacements of "fudge-knuckles" "spit dip" and "baaahlck". Regardless of these vocabulary concoctions, cursing itself has been overused so much recently that it has begun to loose its significance, which is to emphasize a statement or convey a strong feeling. If its use continues to be used on such an unnecessary frequent basis, people may grow completely immune to its impact. This isn't necessarily bad if you're in favor of the next generation of swearwords to include "baaahlck".

No comments:

Post a Comment