Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Float Like a Rock on a River

I really don't mean to be redundant, but this post is about blogging. As of now, I have 20 views (most are my own revisions), no comments, and no followers. The question can not be ignored any longer: why do I continue to post. At least once a week, someone in my life asks me, in regards to a particular action of mine, the simple question: "What's the point." My response has always been something similar to, "Uh...I...guess there isn't one." And it would be true. There would be no conceivable understanding of why I did whatever random thing I did. I would have absolutely nothing to back myself if it weren't for the Buddhist monks. The monks perfected a technique of creating sand art, known as sand mandla, painstakingly tedious yet beautiful in completion. A fully finished piece, which generally takes weeks to build, is amazingly beautiful in every visual sense. But once a piece is finished, the monk will ritualistically destroy his magnificent creation. The Buddhists do this because of their doctrinal belief in the transitory nature of material life. But the sand art also shows that life is about the living part, not so much about whether people put you on a pedestal after your death. The tedious week-long crafting of this beautiful art form is an experience more then anything else. Things live and die, and that's just nature. So addressing the empty auditorium of my audience, I apologetically confess that this blog is more for the benefit of my own experience then it is for your entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment